Jon’s April 2019 Creator Showcase: A Shower of Posts to Water Your Spring Crops!
Welcome back to another of the Jon’s Creator Showcase posts. I’m so glad to bring you all another month of fun posts. I’ve been out of the loop for a few months now so this was really helpful in getting me caught up with some blog posts and new bloggers in the anime community. Please enjoy this month’s showcase!
If you guys are new to this community event, fear not, this isn’t the last month this will happen. Next month’s Showcase is going to be hosted by Scott over at Mechanical Anime Reviews and he will be taking submissions shortly!
As for where the idea of the Showcase originated…it happened over at Jon’s blog Jon Spencer Reviews. It started as an event he was going to host on a monthly basis but because of life, he had to drop it; however, in order to keep the project alive, Raistlin suggested having multiple hosts. Which is why all you lovely people are here~
Last month was hosted by Mirror Purple, so definitely check out that post to find some new content to read!
And without further ado, time to share some posts
Usually, the entries for the showcase consist of a variety of different blog posts and one time I got some art and poetry! But this time we had two new entries. We got a short story AND a youtube video. Please pardon my excitement!
- One Piece Manga Review – Chapter 937: Gyukimaru of Bandit Bridge by ElizabethScaffie: To be honest, I have no idea what’s going on in the One Piece fandom, show, or manga but I had to add Elizabeth’s post to the MVP pile! Why? Because it’s the first video I’ve ever received for the showcase!! Beware the spoilers and love the glasses, hehe
- Voyager Designation Fifty-Seven [Short Story – Weird Fiction/Horror] by Matt Doyle: This is the first story I’ve gotten for the JCS! A nice and interesting sci-fi-esque read. Definitely not expecting that ending!
Overloading the TBW Pile
You guys have heard of the TBR pile, right? Well, now I bring you the anime TBW pile, which seems to have no end with more than 100 anime series airing a year. Do we even have time to watch more? Who knows but these guys just piqued my curiosity and my list is ever growing
- (Mecha March) Five Mecha Shows for Beginners by Scott: If you’re looking to start some new series or want to get into anime, these are some great mecha recommendations!!
- Worth Watching – Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid / My Best Friend by Derek: Sometimes the best ways to get pumped about an anime series is by watching some cool AMVs #ISHIPTHEM
- Laplace’s Demon, Tomoe Koga [p1] by Yomu: This is the second time I’ve seen someone talk about this series (Takuto was the first), and I have to say, I’m even more curious! Just added this to my list of shows I need to binge soon~
- 5 Reasons Why You SHOULD and SHOULDN’T Watch “Asobi Asobase” by Josmarie: Tentatively adds this because it sounds so dumb and creepy but also like something I would have a good laugh with?! What can I say, curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back!
- The Diverse Women of Sword Oratoria (March 2019 OWLS Tour) by Rai: I don’t think it’s a secret that I tend to not watch anime featuring too many girls…but this sounds like a show I’d want to check out! Cute girls, action, and ok, Loki is my favorite (even tho we haven’t met yet!)
- Non Non Biyori Vacation: A Movie Reflection, Full Recommendation and Perspectives from Travelling to Okinawa by InfiniteZenith: A bit of a long one here but those screenshots look amazing!! I definitely need to check this series out, especially since I went to Okinawa once!
- My Top 5 Anime of 2018 by Dragonas: Yes to these series!! And the nice thing is that there’s a variety in new and old and different genres!
Spoil Me Senseless
I knew the Winter season was going to come to haunt me one day. These are posts that are filled with spoilers so you’ve been warned. Haven’t watched? Get spoiled!
- In Defence of Isabella – The Promised Neverland by Lynn: This post is GREAT. I’m always a fan of analysis posts, especially when it’s about an interesting character and story!
- Review Of The Promised Neverland Episode 12: Phil Steps Up And Streamers In The Wind by Crow and Irina: Maybe I should have finished The Promised Neverland before hosting this month’s showcase! A great in-depth analysis if you’ve finished up the series
- Boogiepop wa Warawanai Episode 18: Accepting Who You Are by That Random Editor: This one wasn’t as spoiler-filled as the previous two but considering I’ve forgotten the name of the characters’ names, I could be wrong (oops). Need more spoilers? Don’t worry, That Random Editor also wrote up a post comparing certain aspects of the anime and the novel!!
- This Art Club Has a Problem! – Collaboration with Yomu: Episode 12 (& Series Review) by Jon and Yomu: Ok, not exactly spoiler-filled but definitely geared towards the community following this show! I’m curious about the kappa pun. I feel like I’ve heard it but can’t remember. I’d love to be enlightened!
- Kyousougiga Retrospective| Flash Anime-Tion by Galvanic: This is the first time I’ve heard about this series and why am I thinking it has some FLCL vibes?! Btw, FLCL is one of my favorite shows so this is major points!
Get to Know the Blogger
Ever wonder about the private life of the bloggers you’re following? Yeah me too, but they keep those secrets well guarded. But I bring you here some posts that are a close second! Get to know the writers behind the blog in these possibly revealing posts!?
- OWLS Blog Tour: “Feminine” – A Mother-Daughter Relationship in Because This Is My First Life by Lyn: Lyn talks a little about her relationship with the women in her family, specifically her mother!
- A Look Back at 5 Awesome Years and 250 Blog Posts by Tony: It feels like forever since I last met a blogger who’s been around this long. This is a great milestone and Tony tells us why he started and what he likes about being a blogger!
- 4th Blogversary + 800 Posts Special: Looking Back to How All of This Started by Mirror Purple: Another anniversary post!! It’s awesome when your blog is more than just screaming into the void
- 9 Things I learned from my first 6 Months of Anime Blogging by Matija: I can’t believe Matija has only been blogging for 6 months!! These are some great tips if you’re planning to blog or if you’re trying to improve *takes notes*
The Academics #NoticeMeSenpai
Ever read a post SO GOOD you tremble with excitement and even though you have a strict short comment policy you end up gushing nonsense about people’s posts? Ever met a blogger who writes so cohesively they put your whole blogging career to shame? Yeah, this is basically my blogging life so please buddies, send some blogging magic our way!
- She Flies Again! The Stellar Women of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 | OWLS “Feminine” by Takuto: Hello Takuto, your post was the hardest to classify! It could fit in so many sections but I went and dropped it here because aside from making me curious, spoiling me, and letting me into your headspace, I felt this post was especially about creating a discussion on a larger topic (which duh, it’s an OWLS post, hehe)
- This Art Club Has a Problem! Ep. 12: Is This a Pigeo-I Mean, Classic? by Aria: Oh my! Technically could have fit Spoil Me Senseless but because Aria discusses what a classic IS, I felt it fit better here. Very interesting, considering I’ve never really known what classics were. Thoughts?
- All Work and No Pay – Part II – Animator’s Pay and Working Conditions Keeps Getting Worse by James: This was a GREAT read! The title pretty much says it all. What do you think needs to happen for things to change?
- OWLS March “Feminine” Post: Aggretusko and Dealing with Harassment by Jack:
- Nerdy Travels: More Little Things I Love About Japan by Sam: A great read if you’re planning to go to Japan and need to know what little things to experience or if you just want to know how convenient and cute Japan can be!
Short, Sweet, and Floofy
Sometimes reading blog posts can be exhausting, I know. I mean, we follow dozens and hundreds of bloggers and they create dozens of posts a week, and how many numbers is that?! So I brought you all the short, sweet, and floofy posts of the JCS that will bring a smile to your faces!
- Making Everything Anime! by YumDeku: Real talk here, would it be better if EVERYTHING was anime? What?! What do you mean that’s just wishful thinking?!
- Winter 2019 Best Girl Battle: Kaguya vs. Rui by Andy: I have yet to meet either of these girls but wow, it’s a close battle indeed!
I may be a newbie with games but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a TBP pile! In fact, I have tons of games I haven’t taken out of their boxes in years but ya know what? That doesn’t mean I can’t keep adding to that pile. Gimme the game recs!!
- Achievement Unlocked: Dungeon Master by Megan: I’m not saying that D&D are taking over…but I’m saying they’re taking over and I want in! Megan’s posts always make me want to start doing some research on this game
- Sonic & Friends Go Head-to-Head with “Team Dark” In Part 2 of Team Sonic Racing Overdrive by Joseph: The Sonic live-action not doing it for you? Why not check out the new Sonic game instead! The nostalgia is hitting me hard #rip
- Devil May Cry 5 (Demo): Videogame Impression by Mallow: I can probably count the number of games I’ve ever played on a single hand but I think I’m going to need another soon. This looks fun so I might join in on the button smashing!
Remember we are respectful human beings. If you guys are going to slice at each other, please remember I’m the one cleaning up the bloody mess. Keep the floors clean! I’m not one for overtime
- Anime is Entertainment (And You Should Have Fun With It) by Lethargic Ramblings: I don’t usually pick favorites
LIESbut this is my favorite post. Very direct and straight to the point
- The Professional & Consumer Merits of Writing Your Own Synopses – A Discussion by Neha: Ok so maybe I did lie. Maybe THIS is my favorite post?! Completely relatable and gives you some insight on some of your viewers (because yeah, I have similar reactions and thoughts)!
Well, then, that rounds up the April Jon’s Creator showcase!! I had so much fun checking out everyone’s posts and tried to leave comments on all of them (If I haven’t YET, I will soon, lol). But there’s no time to rest because Scott (Mechanical Anime Reviews) will be taking submissions this weekend! So get those April 2019 posts and other content you’re proud of and get ready to share them with the tag #theJCS!
I’ll see you guys as the host of another Jon’s Creator Showcase in September! And if you wanna host the showcase on your blog, check out the signup sheet. We still need some people to host October and December!